What is the application process?
From the time of USCIS receiving your application to the time where you become a US Citizen, right now the process may take between 14.5
and 18.5 months. (Up-dated 01/21/2021).To check your case processing time, Click here.

*** 1. There are at least three options available to you:

A.You come to see me and I will guide you through the process of completing the N-400.
Or you may complete your own
USCIS Form N-400.   
If you decide not to come to class, please read the N-400 instructions (pdf format) by
clicking here.
You may also, file a Form G-1145 to receive e-mails and other electronic up-dates directly from USCIS regarding the progress of the processing of
your N-400 application.  To complete the form G-1145 (pdf format),
click here.

B. You apply on your own and you send your N-400 via mail, here are a few tips:
    1. Make sure that your application includes a bar code on the bottom of every page.
2. Once you have typed up your application DO NOT WRITE ON OR MODIFY YOUR APPLICATION.  Why? Well it's because of the bar code
found at the bottom of each page represents the information you have typed on that page.  That bar code is scanned during the processing of your
application and therefore hand written text on your application will not be included in that bar code.

    3. The information regarding the following topics (residence (Part 5), employment (Part 8), travel (Part 9)) needs to be typed in a most recent to
the oldest format. Start with today and go back 5 years (or 3 years if you are applying under the 3, 3, 3 option (Part 1, B)

4. If  you have someone translate (Part 14) or someone prepare the N-400 for you (Part 15), then you MUST have that person or persons sign
your application (Part 14 and/or Part 15)  because if they made a mistake you will be OK but if they fail to sign your application and there is a
mistake you could be found to misinforming (lying) a federal officer and your application could be denied.

5. I'll be happy to check your application and send your application. Make sure to send your application as certified mail

C. You apply on your own (follow the same tips as in part B above) and you submit it electronically . You will need to, either pay with, a
credit card, an ATM card, a pre-paid card of a bank to bank transfer through pay,gov (
and you will need to set up an account on my.uscis,gov, to do so
click here.
The scheduled October 2, 2020 fee increase is on hold until further notice due to an injunction.
Starting October 2, 2020, to submit your N-400 electronically you would have to pay a total of $1,160 Remember that if someone fills out the N-400
for you, have them complete the preparer's section and if someone translated the N-400 for you make sure that they complete the interpreter's
section.  Otherwise if there is a mistake and they made it, you may be held liable for it.

*** 2. If you went for options 1 or 2 and your  N-400 is complete and you have the required $725.   
I will send your completed N-400 to the USCIS via certified mail with a return receipt.
The 2 passport photos are no longer required at the time of
. However, USCIS will take your photo during your biometrics appointment.
(BEWARE: The photo taken in Santa Rosa will be the photo used on your Citizenship Certificate!)
I like to send as many applications together as possible.  That way it is easier to track the progress of their status.  
So if you complete your own form and wish to have me send it with my students' forms, that is perfectly fine with me.  
Start studying your 100 questions.
The scheduled October 2, 2020 fee increase is on hold until further notice due to an injunction.
Starting October 2, 2020, the mailed application processing fee was going to be $1,170.

*** 3. Now that your N-400 is in the USCIS' hands, you will receive a receipt from USCIS, roughly, within roughly 30 days of my sending your
application to them.
If you don't receive a receipt then contact me via email (
dgengoux@uusd.net )or call: (707)463-5217 and leave a message for me.  
Make sure to give me a phone number which works and your name.  If I don't know who you are and how to contact you, you will not
get a call from me.

*** 4. Within 90 days, you will receive the next letter from USCIS and it will be your Biometrics (fingerprints) appointment, in Santa Rosa. The Santa
Rosa Application Service Center  is open by appointment only.  Wait for your biometrics appointment which you'll receive in the
mail.  Walk-ins are not allowed!
USCIS will take your photo during that appointment.
(BEWARE: The photo taken in Santa Rosa will be the photo used on your Citizenship Certificate!)
Make sure that you get a receipt.  Do not miss it! If you do, contact me as soon as possible.  

*** 5. Roughly 10 months (or more) after your biometrics appointment you will receive another letter from USCIS.
This time you will have to go to San Francisco for your interview.
Do not miss your interview!  If you do, contact me as soon as possible.
To see what an interview
may look like, in English or with Spanish subtitles click here.
Remember this video shows one version and your interview will probably be different.

1.(The following is no longer taking place during the Covid-19 situation but USCIS reserves the righ to do so if it needs to do so) In
San Francisco: You will have to do biometrics again and your photo will be taken again (that photo will not be on your citizenship

2. If you are having your interview in English, you will be given the reading and writing and general English part of the interview
first. Speaking, reading and writing in English are key to passing that part of the interview.  If the officer feels that your English skills
are too low to pass then the officer will stop the interview and the interview will be over.  If the officer approves of your skills then
the officer will go over your application and, if need be, up-date it (for example: perhaps you went out of the country since you
applied, etc...) then the officer will ask you the 10 civics and history questions and then you'll be told if you passed or not. You will
have another chance if you did not pass. If you are doing the interview in your native language, there are no changes.

****** NEW INFORMATION *****
**** For those of you who submitted your Citizenship Application on or after December 1, 2020.
You will have to study the NEW 128 questions.  The officer will ask you 20 questions out of the 128.  You will need to correctly
answer 12 of the 20 questions in order to pass that portion of the interview.
**** If you are 65 or older and have had a Green Card for 20 years or more, you will need to study the 20 questions marked with a little
black star (out of the 128) and you will need to answer correctly 6 questions out of 10 in order to pass that portion of the interview.

- The written part of your interview may be done on an iPad with a stylus of your finger.
If your receipt number starts with IOE then you will have to use the iPad.  
You will also sign your application on the iPad.  
If your receipt number starts with NBC then you will have a paper and pencil to take the written test.
You might have to sign your application on an iPad too.  
If you are taking the test in your native language you will not need to write and read but you will use an iPad to sign your application.  
Here is what that process may look like.  To see a youtube video about the use of the tablet (iPad)
click here.
Now, that you went to your interview you have a gray envelope.  
Inside, you will find a letter (form M-652) with the name of the officer who interviewed you) confirming that you, either, passed or failed  the interview
and a US Passport Application (form DS-11).   

AS of 07/16/2020, USCIS San Francisco will old Oath Ceremonies three times a day and so if you passed your interview stick aaround
because you will have your ceremony done that same day,  Regarding your passport application, come home and see me if you need
help.  USCIS won't accept your passport application.


If you fail your interview, contact me, and I can help you study.  You have two chances.  If you fail the first time then you have one more chance to
pass in a couple of months.  
USCIS will schedule your next interview.
To find out more about passport fees, click here.

*** 6. As of 07/16/2020, USCIS San Francisco, will perform Oath Ceremonies three times a day and these will occur after applicants
have passed their interview.
You go home with your certificate and you call me.  Then, we'll meet and I'll make 5 copies of your certificate.
You'll need to go to Social Security
(Closed until further notice) to change your status and after that you'll submit your passport application with
your original certificate during your previously scheduled appointment at your local post office
Go to
"Other Frequently asked questions page" in this website to find your post office


Now, you should register to vote. You can do so at the Registrar of Voters office located at 501 Low Gap Rd in Ukiah ((707)
Or you can register to vote online,
click here. Registration deadline is two weeks before the actual election date.  

Also, you need to change your social security status.
The Social Security office is currently closed due to the pandemic.           
It's located at 521 Orchard  Avenue in Ukiah (707) 462-0225). Normally, wait about 10 days after your ceremony to change your social
security status. You can call: 1 - 888 - 590 - 2706 or 1- 800 - 772 - 1213 or go to:www.ssa.gov

If you have children who were born in your native country and they are under the age of 18.  They have a Legal Permanent Resident card.  You
should see me.  
Remember that a US passport is proof of US citizenship!

The child must:
1. Have a parent (father/mother) who is a US citizen (so, for example, if you, the parent, became a US citizen recently)
2. Be under the age of 18
3. Have a valid Legal Permanent Resident Card
4. Have a valid birth certificate (if the birth certificate is from a non-English speaking country, it will need to be translated into English)
If your child meets the above stated requirements then you should apply for a US passport for your child.  
For more information go to
Frequently asked questions and warnings.  

Once your child has a US passport, you will need to go to the Social Security office to change your child's social security status.

If your child has a Legal Permanent Resident card and is over the age of 18, then he or she will have to meet the requirements to apply for

If the mother is a US citizen and gives birth to a child in a foreign country, that child may become a US citizen if the mother applies for her child to be
a US citizen.  
It is not automatic!  

If the father is a US citizen and his non US citizen partner gives birth in a foreign country, the father will have to apply for his child to become a US
citizen and that process can be bit more complicated.  
It is not automatic!
Do I
What will I learn in
Study the 100
Executive branch