The last day of school, for the 2019 - 2020 School Year, is June 4th!
The first day of school will be August 24, 2020 (Hopefully)
Starting Friday, May 1, 2020, the Mendocino County Health and Human Service Agency requires the
wearing of a facial covering To read the 04/24/2020 MCHHSA announcement (pdf format), click here.
Due to the Coronavirus pandemic, I understand that some of you, my current students, are afraid of coming to
school. So, if you want to work from home, that's OK. However remember that all of the packets I gave you before
are not available online. Therefore, if you do want to work from home you can:
- Option #1: Wear your facial covering, come and see me during regular class time (M,T,W,Th, 8:30am to 11:30
am and 1pm to 3:30pm and pick up a couple of packets. Then return them completed during those same hours.
DO NOT COME in without your previous completed packet if you want the next ones. I will NOT give you the
next packets unless you turn in the previous packets.
- Option #2: Read a book or two and complete the book report form (pdf format), Click here.
Then print and turn said completed book report form to me during regular class time.
Book reports can be used to receive credits for English, Electives, and Social Studies,depending on the topic of
the book in question.
- Option #3: You may, also, use the book report form as a film report/review form. If you watch a movie and decide
to write a film report, that's fine. However, by watching a movie you will only earn half a credit for that movie's
report. Such reports can be for Social Studies (History, Government), Science, English and Electives depending
on the subject of the movie in question.
- Option #4: Write about the current COVID-19's (Coronavirus) impact on your daily life. Here are some possible
prompts for this writing exercise.
1. What do you do now that you didn't do before?
2. How has the current pandemic affect you, personally?
3. If you have children, what are you doing to keep them busy while there is no school?
4. Do you think that your government is doing enough to protect your community?
5. If you are working, what has changed in your work environment?
6. Do you have a theory related to the origins of this virus?
7. Imagine that you were a conspiracy theorist. Who, why, what, when, how are all questions that could come to
- Option #5: If you need US Government credit. You can write about the election process. You can write an
opinion essay about your favorite presidential candidate or your most hated presidential candidate. You can write
about a law that you like or dislike. You can write about the US Constitution or the 27 amendments or the Bill of
- Option #6: Do PE! Remember to log it and remember that PE can count towards electives.
12 hours of PE equals one credit!
To download the first page of the Ukiah Adult School PE log (pdf format, click here,
To download the second page of the Ukiah Adult School PE log (pdf format), click here.
- Option #7: Do you need elective credits? Learn a new skills! Cooking, sewing, knitting, drawing,playing an
instrument, gardening,etc... YouTube is full of such videos! Pick a few and see if you can follow the instructions
given on the video in question. Write about your experience. Was it a positive and up-lifting experience? Why did
you pick that video? What did you learn? Were you able to follow the video's instructions and complete the project
at hand? What did you like about that video's topic?
- Option #8: Do you have a cellphone with a camera in it? Take photos of the impact of the Coronavirus in your
community. Notice the changes in traffic, people shopping or not.... Imagine that a hundred years from now,
someone asks to see images of the virus' impact on your community. What would they see on your images? Make
a virtual album of your photos.
- Option #9: Do you know how many epidemics this country has had to deal with? Find out! What were the causes
of each epidemic? How ere they handled by the Government and the people at large? How many people were
impacted by the various epidemics? How many people died during the epidemics? Write your findings in an essay
format. What were the factors that made each epidemic different?
- Option #10: With Spring coming, birds are out. To go to a website full of bird oriented information for the whole
family, click here. Write about your experience with the various websites mentioned in the above website.
- Option #11: By now you should have received a 2020 Census letter or two. For a credit in Electives, complete
the 2020 Census questionnaire online and print the "Thank you for completing the 2020 Census questionnaire"
which will have your confirmation number on it. I'll give you a credit in Electives for answering the 2020 Census
online. The deadline is April 1! If you need help, come and see me (Monday,Tuesday,Wednesday, Thursday,
8:30am to 11:30am and 1pm to 3:30pm. Bring your 2020 Census letter (It has your census ID code on it and it's
blue). You can't answer the 2020 Census questions if you don't have the Census ID code. One code works for
all the people who live at that address.
- Option #12: Travel the world without having to deal with jet-lag, Montezuma's revenge or the TSA security
checks, click here.Then write about your experience. Where did you go? What did you see? What was your
favorite place? Where would you like to go?
To see the view from the second and third floor of the Eiffel Tower, click here.
- Option #13: Here is a link to many museums around the world. Check them out and the ndecide on one or two
that you would like to visit in person. Write why you picked those museums and why you'd want to see them in real
life, click here.
Remember that an essay needs to have:
A. An introduction includes:
1. a topic sentence (For example: I'm writing about the price of gasoline in Ukiah.)
2. a preview statement (The price of gas includes, the price of gasoline at the refinery,
the delivery costs from the refinery to Ukiah, gas related taxes)
B. Two or three paragraphs. In this essay there will be three paragraphs.
A paragraph usually has three to five sentences
.Each paragraph addresses only one thing which supports the whole essay
Paragraph #1: The price of gasoline at the refinery
Paragraph #2: Delivery costs from the refinery to Ukiah
Paragraph #3: Gasoline related taxes
C. A conclusion (I wrote about the price of gasoline in Ukiah...)
For more information , click here.